Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What this is all about...

Back about four years ago, I started teaching at a small school in a small town in Ohio. That is where I met my best friend and super colleague Meghan Philpot. When we first met, I would greet her at the front door of the school as soon as she got there. I, having already drank my 32 oz. of coffee, was kind of...in her face. At first, I think I might have been slightly annoying, but soon there after she grew to love me. That is when we started making beautiful lesson plans together.

In a stroke of genius, and after reading the same article about young adult literature in a professional magazine, Meghan and I decided to try to read five to six young adult books a month and then book talk them to our students. At first, the task was daunting. There were a few mistakes made *cough Mummy Book cough*, but after we got the kinks out, Philpot's Faves and Reed's Raves were born.

After a few months of book talking and loaning our books out the the students, Meghan and I were seeing the fruits of our labors: the students were actually enjoying reading! So over the next several years we continued our monthly book talks, which the students loved because Mrs. Philpot and Mrs. Reed (that's me) are dynamic comic geniuses when they are together (okay, maybe we just think we are funny).

Unfortunately, my husband took a job in North Carolina and I had to move away from Ohio, which also broke up the monthly book talks together. Although we are far apart, Meghan and I continue to book talk to our students. But through another mutual stroke of genius, we thought it would be a great idea to create blogs where we can post our current book choices and write book reviews on them for the world to see! Or if the world isn't looking, hopefully our past, present, and future students can check out our blogs to see what we recommend.

So, follow us here on blogspot and recommend us to your friends. Mrs. Philpot's blog is philpotsfaves.blogspot.com and mine of course is right here at reedsraves.blogspot.com

Feel free to leave comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment