Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Evernight by Claudia Gray


I bought this book one day about a year ago on a whim. Well, frankly because I liked the cover and when I skimmed the prologue, I saw there were vampires involved. A month or so ago I needed a new book to read, so I went to my bookshelf (which is now sadly deceased because I accidentally got Pledge on the floor, which made the bookshelf slide down the wall, which then made it crash onto the floor. No books were harmed in the accident) and pulled this book off the shelf. As soon as I started reading, I was hooked!

Evernight Academy is an eerie, old Gothic style private school for privileged rich kids (ooow, spooky). Bianca Olivier is dreading the first day of school because she is convinced she will not fit in with the too perfect, well-bred students. Plus the place just really freaks her out. She sleeps in a room with gargoyles right outside the window and there is something sinister and spooky about the whole campus.

Unfortunately, Bianca has no choice but to attend the school because her parents are both teachers there, but she is determined not to like it, until she meets Lucas.

Lucas Ross is a bad boy outsider whose ancestors were once banned from Evernight Academy for breaking a rule about dueling. He and Bianca hit it off right from the beginning because they both feel that they don’t truly belong at this school. Neither one of them want to be like the other snobby students who flaunt their money, experiences, and status. Plus Lucas thinks there is something evil at the school and he is determined to find out what it is.

A great aspect of this book is the character Balthazar who is one of the students at Evernight Academy. Even though we suspect he might be evil, he is very sexy and alluring. At one point I was kind of hoping Bianca would start dating him!

However, Bianca and Lucas have an undeniable attraction to each other, which reminds me of the epic romance between Buffy and Angel (If you do not get this allusion, please watch seasons two and three of Buffy the Vampire Slayer; that is your homework for this post). Like Buffy and Angel, there are strong tensions between the two of them that will make the reader want them to be together, but there is also a strong forbidden love theme going on here, which makes it almost impossible for them to be together.

Claudia Gray, which is actually the author’s pen name, does a great job creating suspense in this novel. From the opening scene where Bianca is running away from the school and someone starts to chase her, to the part where Bianca has to save her friend Raquel from a terrifying predator, the action will have you biting your nails until the end. Also, Gray introduces some major plot twists that I didn’t see coming. The first one really threw me off guard and had me skimming back through the beginning of the book to see if there were clues I missed that should have led me to this discovery. The second plot twist is just as mind blowing and leads straight into the climax of the story. Without giving anything away, I will say that these plot twist have Bianca questioning everything she has ever thought was true and real in her life. I hope you all are as surprised as I was with these plot twists!

If you read this book and like it, you will be happy to know that it is the first of a four book series. The second book, Stargazer, is already out and in my hot little hands to start reading. I will let you all know what I think about it! Oh, and if you are wondering why I never mentioned anything about vampires in the plot of this book, I guess you will have to read the book to find out why!

For more on this book and others by Claudia Gray, check out her website http://www.claudiagray.com/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment